- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 medium yellow onions, halved
- 1 (2-inch) piece ginger, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1 daikon radish, peeled, 2-inch long
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 4-6 star anise pods
- 5-8 cloves
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 3 cardamom pods, lightly smashed
- Or 1 Tablespoon cardamom seeds
- 6 bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
- Or 1 whole small chicken
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- Or 1 stick rock sugar
- 6 cups water
- 6 cups chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 4 servings rice noodles, prepared according to package directions
- 3 scallions, sliced
- 1 cilantro
- 1 thai basil
- 1 dandelion weed
- 1 lime, cut into wedges
- Handful of bean sprouts (optional)
- 1 jalapeño, thinly sliced (optional)
- Preheat the Instant Pot by selecting Sauté on high heat.
- Once hot, add the oil to the pot. Add the onions, cutside down, daikon, and the ginger. Cook, without moving, until charred—about 4 minutes.
- Add the coriander, star anise, cloves, cinnamon stick, and cardamom. Stir and cook for 1 minute more. Add the chicken broth, water, fish sauce, and sugar. Add the chicken and add more water to fill to the max line for a 6 quart instant pot. Secure the lid.
- Select Manual and cook at high pressure for 30 minutes.
- Once cooking is complete, use a natural release for 10 minutes and release any remaining steam. Remove the chicken from the pot and carefully strain the broth. Season with salt and pepper as desired.
- Place the cooked noodles in 4 bowls. When the chicken is cool enough to handle, pick the meat off the bones and add to the bowls. Pour over the broth and top with scallions, herbs, lime, and bean sprouts and jalapeño (if using).
If you want to use beef bones, swap the chicken with 4 pounds beef bones. To prep the bones, add them to a pot filled with water and bring to a boil for 3 minutes to rid of the scum. Remove from pot. Then add to the instant pot following the recipe.