1 package wide egg noodles (16 oz)
2 lemons, zest and juice
1 cup heavy cream
1 chicken breast, cut into thin strips
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbl vegetable oil
2 red bell peppers, cut into ¼” strips
salt to taste
lots of freshly ground black pepper
1 tsp crushed red pepper (optional)
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add noodles and stir to separate. Cook for 8 minutes, or until just barely tender (the noodles will cook a bit more in sauce). Drain, then return to the cooking pot.
2. Meanwhile, heat oil and add garlic then the chicken strips and cook until nearly done, 3-4 minutes, and then add the red bell pepper strips and cook about minute until chicken is done. Set aside in a bowl with the juices.
3. Using the same pan, combine lemon zest, cream, salt and pepper. Cook until the cream comes to a boil.
4. Add the sauce to the noodle pot. Toss. Turn on the heat and add the lemon juice, about 3 tablespoons to start. Stir. Add the chicken and bell peppers and mix. Turn off the heat when most of the juice is absorbed, about 1-2 minutes.
5. Season with additional black pepper and crushed red pepper if desired.
*NOTES: I found this recipe a long time ago as a quick and fast noodle dish but have since added chicken and red bell peppers as a way to make it a complete meal with veggies and protein. Feel free to have a simpler pasta dish if you’re in a pinch! This will take only 20 minutes to prepare!