6 sweet potatoes, scrubbed and cut in half
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ tsp salt
dash of cinnamon
dash of nutmeg
¾ c brown sugar
2/3 c whole wheat flour
½ c Smart Balance butter, softened
1 c mini marshmallows
- Steam the sweet potatoes until soft. A metal fork should go through it easily.
2. Allow to cool, peel the skin, mash.
3. Preheat the oven to 350F.
4. Add the eggs, vanilla extract, salt, cinnamon to the mash and mix well. Add to a casserole dish. Smooth the top to even it out.
5. In a separate bowl mix the brown sugar and flour then incorporate the butter until the mixture is crumbly.
6. Sprinkle the topping on top of the mashed sweet potato.
7. Sprinkle the marshmallows on top of the crumble mixture.
8. Bake for 40-45 minutes until the marshmallows are golden brown.
I save some dishes and time by peeling and mashing the potatoes in the 8×11 aluminum lasagna pan I plan to bake it in. Just remember to clean the sides for presentation.
The ingredients that go into the mashed sweet potatoes are optional. I take out the eggs, butter and sugar when I make it for my mom; it reduces the baking time too. The butter needs to be softened otherwise the crumble can be a paste if too softened or lumps of melted butter if not softened enough!
I started making this recipe because I love Boston Market’s sweet potato casserole. I made this every year for my sorority’s Thanksgiving lunch and the recipe still gets made by the undergrads at UMass-Amherst!