1.5 cups flour
3/4 cups cocoa powder, Giradelli’s
1.5 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup granulated sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup olive oil
1 1/4 cup coffee or water
1.5 Tablespoon vinegar
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1. Preheat oven to 350F.
2. Prepare the baking pan by cutting a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom. Then rub the sides with olive oil.
3. In a bowl, whisk flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt, sugar until well blended.
4. Add the brown sugar using a sifter so that clumps can be broken up.
5. In a separate bowl coming the olive oil, coffee/water, vinegar.
6. Add the liquid to the flour mixture and whisk until blended.
7. Use a spatula to pour the batter into the baking pan.
8. Bake for 30 minute, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
9. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan. Then turn over onto a cooling rack to cool completely.
10. Place the cake onto a dish. Place the cooling rack on top when ready to shift powdered sugar atop. Add the powdered sugar into a fine grated sifter and sprinkle the top of the cake. Remove the cooling rack to reveal a criss cross design. Alternatively cut out shapes and designs on paper, place it atop the cake and sprinkle the sugar on top then remove the paper when finished to reveal. Please note to do this just prior to service as the moistness of the cake will cause the powdered sugar to disappear.
Recipe adjusted from Smitten Kitchen. Since this is a vegan cake, the baking soda and vinegar act as the rising agent. The first time I made this, I followed the portions and found that too much liquid caused a dent in the middle of the cake.