Prep time: 25 min
Cook time: 15 min
Ingredients for Polenta:
6 cups water
2 teaspoons salt
2 cups yellow cornmeal, coarse or fine works
1 Tablespoon coconut oil
pinch of dried basil (optional)
pinch of dried oregano (optional)
1. Bring 6 cups of water to a boil in a heavy large saucepan.
2. Add the salt.
3. Gradually whisk in the cornmeal.
4. Reduce the heat to low and cook until the mixture thickens and the cornmeal is
tender, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
5. Turn off the heat.
6. Add the coconut oil and stir until melted.
7. Add the dried seasonings if desired.
8. Turn off the heat and allow to set, not covered.
Ingredients for Shrimp Topping:
1 Tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 garlic cloves minced
½ teaspoon dried red pepper flakes
1 teaspoon paprika
2 bell peppers, chopped, any color
1 cup frozen corn
1 can black beans, rinsed
1 pound cleaned, shelled shrimp, cut into 4 pieces
1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat.
2. Sauté onion, garlic, chili powder and paprika about 5 minutes.
3. Add green bell pepper, corn, and black beans.
4. Cook for 5 minutes.
5. Add shrimp and sauté until cooked.
6. Serve over polenta.