8 oz chicken, ground
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 Thai chilies, sliced thin
1/2 yellow onion, diced small
1 red jalapeño pepper, slice thin
5 Thai basil leaves, whole
2 Tablespoon fish sauce
1 Tablespoon oyster sauce
1 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
3 Tablespoon water
2 Tablespoon cooking oil
4 slices cucumber
1 cup rice
1. Add cooking oil to a frying pan and wait until it’s hot.
2. Add the garlic, yellow onion and Thai chilies and sauce until brown, about 2-4 minutes.
3. Add the ground chicken, sauce until cooked through 5-8 minutes.
4. Measure the sauce into a bowl and mix well: fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar, water, turmeric.
5. Pour over the chicken and mix together.
6. Add the basil and jalapeño and remove from the heat when the basil has wilted.
7. Clean the frying pan, heat about 2 Tablespoons of oil, allowing to get hot. Fry the egg on one side until browned on the edges. Flip and fry on the other side for another minute. Remove.
8. Plate the dish by placing the rice in the center, spooning the ka pow chicken around the edges, placing the egg on top of the rice then adding the slices of cucumber for garnish.
Adapted from Talad Thai & Loa Street Food