Vegetable oil cooking spray
1 pound skinless salmon (if using salmon with skin, choose a piece that is 1⅓ pounds)
1 tablespoon canola oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 teaspoon finely grated fresh ginger
½ teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon ground cumin
½ teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper, optional
½ teaspoon garam masala
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Coat a baking dish with the cooking spray. Arrange salmon in the baking dish.
- Combine oil, garlic, ginger and spices, and rub into the salmon.
- Prick the salmon with a fork a few times. Cover and marinate for 20 minutes at room temperature or up to 24 hours in the refrigerator.
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Bake the salmon, uncovered, for 15 to 20 minutes. Or grill the salmon, wrapped in foil with a tent for venting, for 10 to 15 minutes. The salmon is done when it easily flakes with a fork.
- Sprinkle with the lime juice before serving.
Garam masala is a blend of several spices and is frequently used in Indian recipes. Buy it in markets or make your own! Dry-roast ¼ cup cumin seeds on low heat until dark brown and fragrant. Cool to room temperature. Mix with 3 tablespoons whole black peppercorns, 3 tablespoons whole cardamom pods, 1 teaspoon cloves, 2 teaspoons dry ginger powder and 2 cinnamon sticks. Grind spices in a spice grinder. Store in an airtight container.
Eat with a salad or rice. Grill asparagus or zucchini for a vegetable side.
Serving size: 3 ounces cooked
Calories: 170; Total Fat: 7g; Saturated Fat: 1g; Cholesterol: 60mg; Sodium: 200mg; Total Carbohydrate: 1g; Dietary Fiber: 0g; Protein: 23g.