4 Tablespoons olive oil
1 potato, skinned, diced small
1 onion, diced small
4.5 cups water
4 teaspoons Better than Bouillon vegetable broth gel
1 can (15 oz.) puree pumpkin
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 cup heavy cream
1. Add the olive oil to a small pot and let heat.
2. Add the potatoes and onions and saute until soft
3. Add the water, gel, pumpkin puree.
4. Bring to a boil and allow to simmer for 15 minutes until the potatoes are soft.
5. Add the spices in the beginning of the simmer: nutmeg, pumpkin spice, salt, turmeric.
6. Season to taste.
7. Turn off the heat, use an immersion blender and puree the potatoes and onions.
8. Add the heavy cream and mix well to incorporate.
9. Serve in a bowl with a side of bread.
Adapted from Country Living website for 28 best pumpkin recipes.
I swapped out the butter for olive oil and reduced the heavy cream from 1 cup to 1/4 cup.
I added turmeric to make it more colorful but it’s a beneficial adaptogen
Cut the onions and potatoes smaller so it takes less time to soften but if you’re mashing by hand, larger potatoes would be better.
Be careful while using the immersion blender! It’s hot liquid, I definitely got splashed.