- 1 large bunch rainbow chard (or Swiss chard)
- 1 large bunch kale
- 1 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 1/2 lb. shiitake mushrooms
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 teaspoon chipotle powder or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 cup dried wheat berries
- 2 oz. fresh goat cheese (if desired)
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large shallot
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- a few grinds of cracked black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon of kosher salt
- 2 Tablespoons raw honey
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 3/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Wash the kale and chard thoroughly. If either is too tough to eat raw, wilt slightly in a pan with a little olive oil. Dry the leaves well. Tear the leaves into bite-sized pieces and set aside.
- Quarter the Brussels sprouts, removing any tough outer leaves. Toss in olive oil and a little salt and pepper. Bake at 425F for 20-25 minutes.
- Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in your Instant Pot. Wash the wheat berries and drain off the excess water. Add the wheat berries to the pot and toast them in the oil, stirring frequently, for about 5 minutes. Add a pinch of kosher salt, the bay leaf, and cover with about 3 cups of water. Pressure cook for 35 minutes. Drain any liquid and remove the bay leaf. They should begin to pop open a bit. When you taste one, it shouldn’t feel hard, but it should still have a good bite to it.
- Trim any rough stems off of the shiitake mushrooms. Toss the caps in olive oil and kosher salt, and spread on a piece of parchment paper on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 8-10 minutes until they start to get brown and roasted. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly. Mix the maple syrup, chipotle powder/paprika, and black pepper, and toss the mushrooms in the mixture until evenly coated. Return the mushrooms to the oven for 2-3 minutes until they start to crisp up again, then remove and set aside to cool on the baking sheet.
- Cut the shallot into a small dice (1/4”). Heat 1 Tablespoon olive oil in a small saute pan over medium-low heat. Add the shallot to the pan and cook, stirring frequently, until the shallot is golden brown and caramelized, about 12-15 minutes.
- Add the shallot, mustard, black pepper, salt, honey, and vinegar to the blender, or to a cup just big enough around to fit a hand blender. Blend until fully combined. While the blender is running, slowly add the 3/4 cup of oil in a thin stream until fully incorporated. Add water if needed to thin out the dressing.
- Add the goat cheese (if desired), Brussels sprouts, mushrooms, wheat berries, and about 2-4 Tablespoons dressing to a large mixing bowl. It’s better to start with less dressing and add more later. Add the greens and toss the ingredients together until everything is coated with dressing and mixed well. Add extra dressing as needed.
Nutrition information per serving (1/8 of recipe):298 calories, 6 g protein, 21 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 10 g sugar (includes 1.5 g added sugar), 102 mg sodium, 516 mg potassium, 23 g fat (4 g sat, 16 g mono, 3 g poly, 0 g trans), 3 mg cholesterol