This is my version of instant noodles, which is healthier and more wholesome. It’s quick because of the Instant Pot and so flavorful due to the mushrooms! Makes 4 servings.
1 onion, diced
3 carrots, diced
2 celery stalks, diced
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup shiitake mushrooms, rehydrated in hot water, drained
1 Tablespoon Better than Bouillon vegetable paste
2 teaspoons salt
4 bay leaves
10 cups water
1 package noodles (10 oz) Suggested: buckwheat, soba, udon, green tea noodles or rice vermicelli
1 bunch cilantro, chopped
1 bunch scallion, diced
4 Tablespoons fried onions
black pepper to taste
1. Turn on the instant pot and set to saute setting.
2. Add the olive oil and onions. Saute until translucent, about 4 minutes, add the carrots and celery and garlic.
3. Add the mushrooms, vegetable paste, salt, water and bay leaves.
4. Cover the lid. Set to soup.
5. Boil noodles according to the instructions.
6. When the soup is ready, release the vent, remove the bay leaves.
7. In a bowl, add the noodles, cilantro, scallions and then add the soup. Top with fried onions and black pepper.
You can add protein such as shrimp or diced chicken or even sliced tofu by portioning the soup into a sauce pan, cooking your shrimp/chicken/tofu until done and pouring the broth into the bowl of noodles.