1 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
5 whole eggs
1 cup sugar, divided
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/3 cup milk
1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
1 can sweeten condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 pint heavy whipping cream
3 Tablespoons sugar
- Preheat oven to 350F degrees. Spray a glass casserole dish with oil.
- Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Separate eggs.
- Beat egg yolks and gradually add 3/4 cup sugar on high speed until yolks are pale yellow. Stir in milk and vanilla. Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and stir very gently until combined.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form. With the mixer on, pour in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat until egg whites are stiff but not dry.
- Fold egg white mixture into the batter very gently until just combined. Pour into prepared pan and spread to even out the surface.
- Bake for 35 to 45 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Turn cake out onto a rimmed platter and allow to cool.
- Combine condensed milk, evaporated milk, and heavy cream in a small pitcher then allow to chill in the fridge while cake is cooling. When cake is cool, pierce the surface with a fork several times. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the cake and try to get around the edges. You may not need to use all of the milk mixture.
- Allow the cake to absorb the milk mixture for 30 minutes. To ice the cake, whip 1 pint heavy cream with 3 tablespoons of sugar until thick and spreadable.
- Spread over the surface of the cake. Cut into squares and serve.
Inspired by Pioneer Woman