2 Japanese eggplants, peeled
4 Tablespoons cooking wine
1.5 Tablespoons sugar
2 Tablespoons soy sauce
3 cups jasmine rice
furikake for topping
seaweed for topping
scallion, diced for topping
sesame seeds for topping
- Take the peeled eggplant and cut in half.
- Add to a bowl of water to cover and microwave for 2 minutes.
- Flatt the half moon halves by slicing lengthwise not all the way through to lay the eggplant like a fillet of fish.
- Create crosshatch marks on both sides.
- Pan fry to sear both sides in hot oil.
- Remove from heat and let rest on a paper towel.
- In the same pan, add the cooking wine and sugar. Allow to caramelize before adding the soy sauce. Allow to simmer for a minute.
- Add the eggplant back in the sauce and allow to coat.
- Remove and continue with the rest of the eggplant “fillets” until all are coated in sauce.
- Slice diagonally into 1” strips.
- To plate, take a bowl, add a cup of rice, lay the strips on top, Use the toppings: sesame, scallion, seaweed, furikake in the amounts desired.
Serves 2. I would use the sauce for other vegetables too! It’s very good.
Recipe adapted from Helen’s Recipes.