1 pound cactus/nopales, diced
1 Tablespoon salt
2 Roma tomatoes, diced
½ white onion, diced
½ cup cilantro, chopped
1 jalapeno, sliced then diced
1 lime, juiced
- Take the pre-cut nopalitos and rinse under cold water for a minute.
- Bring a medium pot to a boil and add 1 Tablespoon of kosher salt.
- Boil the nopalitos for 15 minutes.
- Set up ice bath for when the nopalitas are done.
- In the meantime, prep the tomatoes, onions and cilantro.
- Strain the nopalitas and blanch in the ice bath.
- In a bowl, add the nopalitas, tomatoes, onions and jalapenos.
- Add the lime juice, salt and pepper.
- Sprinkle with cilantro.
- Stir and taste. Add more salt and/or lime juice as needed.
- Eat with corn tortilla!
Best eat within 3-5 days, the cactus tends to get slimy from the juices released.
Nopales is commonly found here in Texas at a flea market (pulga) or Mexican grocery store. It’s healthy and studies has shown it helps with insulin control in diabetics. It’s a great vegetable and a twist on typical salsa.
Recipe adapted from www.thaicaliente.com