12 oz applewood smoked bacon
8 oz cream cheese
¼ cup pimento cheese
½ to 1 serrano pepper, minced
2 teaspoons garlic salt
½ onion, minced, medium
1 lime, juiced
2 Tablespoons cilantro, diced
½ teaspoon paprika
½ teaspoon salt
- Wash the jalapenos and allow to dry.
- Slice the jalapenos length wise, trying to preserve the stem for presentation.
- Wear gloves and clean the inside, making sure to remove the seeds and membrane which is the spicy part. Wear gloves to protect your hands from the burning side effects of touching capsaicin.
- Set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the cream cheese, pimento cheese, serrano pepper, onion, garlic salt, lime and cilantro using a rubber spatula to mix well.
- Take the bacon and stack 3-4 slices on top of each other so that you can split the bacon slice in half lengthwise.
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- To assemble, take a spoon and stuff each jalapeno with stuffing, then wrap with the thinly sliced bacon. Set on a baking sheet with a wire rack. Space each finished popper about 1 inch apart.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the bacon is cooked.
I cooked the poppers on the grill, which will give you a crispy bottom but the top will be not crisp. You can take a torch to the top to finish but do not flip the poppers, otherwise the stuffing will melt out.
Inspired by http://www.butter-n-thyme.com