1 cup American coffee, room temperature
1 Tablespoon amaretto (optional)
20 lady fingers
1 lb mascarpone
4 eggs, room temp, separated
1 cup heavy cream
¼ cup sugar
1 Tablespoon sugar
¼ cup mini dark chocolate chips
cocoa powder for dusting
- Use a handheld blender to mix the heavy cream in a medium bowl for about a minute until it’s fluffy. Set aside.
- Mix the egg whites and 1 Tablespoon of sugar in a bowl until it is fluffy with soft peaks that do not collapse.
- Mix the mascarpone and remaining sugar in a separate bowl for about 3 minutes.
- Combine the heavy cream and mascarpone using a rubber spatula. Then fold the egg whites and mix until just combined. Set aside.
- Pour the coffee into a wide enough bowl or deep enough plate that will allow you to dip the lady fingers in, quickly.
- Lay the lady fingers, side by side in a glass baking sheet about 12”x8”
- Cover lady fingers with the cream mixture and smooth over.
- Sprinkle with dark chocolate chips.
- Refrigerate for at least 1 hour but up to 24 hours for the flavors to marinate.
- Right before serving, dust with cocoa powder.
I made this in Sorrento, Italy at Quanto Basta with my girlfriends. We learned that tiramisu means “pick me up” and “popo” how long you dip the lady fingers in for. It was a great experience and amazing dessert. This can be stored for up to 2 days.