2 Tbl olive oil
2 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp dried thyme
1.5 tsp paprika
1 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp paprika
2 tsp cayenne
1 tsp onion powder
.5 tsp garlic powder
1 whole roasting chicken (about 4 pounds)
1 lemon, halved with visible seeds removed
1 cup chicken stock
- In a small bowl, mix the dried spices.
- To prep the chicken, remove the giblets, trim excess fat, rinse the chicken and then pat dry with paper towels.
- Season the chicken and the cavity with the spice mixture.
- Stuff the cavity with the lemon.
- Set the instant pot setting to saute, add the olive oil.
- Add the chicken breast side down and cooked for about 4 minutes. Then flip the chicken using tongs and cook for another 4 minutes.
- Take the chicken out and add the metal trivet into the pot.
- Add the chicken stock.
- Place the chicken on top. Select manual setting for 28 minutes, high pressure.
- Allow to naturally release pressure for about 20-30 minutes.
I had 1 pound of fingerling potatoes from another recipe so before i cleaned the chicken and measured the spices, I added the potatoes to a pot of water that covered 2 inches above. I added 3 tablespoons of kosher salt and let that go to a boil for about 10 minutes. I added the potatoes to the pot after I placed the chicken in the pot. I also cooked quinoa and sauteed swiss chard in oil, salt and pepper for a complete meal.