6 oz or half box whole grain spaghetti
1 ½ cup pasta water
¼ cup extra virgin olive oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
3 large egg yolks, beaten
1 cup cooked baby peas
½ cup freshly shaved Parmesan cheese
1 Tablespoon lemon juice and zest
1 teaspoon truffle in oil (optional)
1 Tablespoon capers (optional)
Coarse salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Cook pasta according to package directions, until al dente.
- Scoop out 1 ½ cups pasta water for later use.
- When there is a minute left, add the peas and bring back to a boil.Drain pasta and set aside.
- Place ¼ cup olive oil in the large pot on medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook until fragrant and the garlic is golden brown, about 30-60 seconds. Add pasta and peas back into the pot, then the pasta water and simmer until liquid is reduced by half. Remove from the heat and stir in the beaten egg yolks until it starts to thicken.
- Stir in the Parmesan cheese, truffle oil and capers if using.
- Season with salt, a generous amount of black pepper and lemon zest and juice, to taste. Remove from heat and place in bowls.
- Garnish with Parmesan cheese or parsley.
Inspired by Have a Plant, Julie Andrews