Makes 4 sandwiches, 20 minutes prep time
1 package tempeh
4 ounces baby kale
1 loaf whole wheat bread
2 roma tomatoes, sliced
½ cup vegenaise garlic aioli
1 Tablespoon fresh basil, chiffonade
Ingredients for sauce:
2 garlic cloves, minced
½ teaspoon chipotle powder
½ cup vegenaise
2 Tablespoons lemon juice
½ teaspoon lemon zest
salt and pepper to taste
store up to 7 days
- Make the aioli by combining all ingredients into a sealable jar.
- Take the tempeh out of the package. Slice in half horizontally so it’s thinner.
- Brown on both sides in a saute pan with oil of choice. Remove and let oil soak on a paper towel.
- Toast the bread.
- Spread aioli on both slices of bread.
- Layer the tempeh on top of one bread slice, add the tomatoes, lay down the baby kale then top with the other bread slice.
- Cut in half and enjoy.
Inspired from FoodForward.org, plant-based recipe developed by Chef Justin Cassidy
Aioli sauce from StaceyHomemaker